Benefits of summer reading programs are well documented. In fact, summer reading programs have been around for more than a century, and they continue on because of their great benefits. Summer reading programs come in all shapes and sizes from online reading and answering questions to reading library books, to 4-hour per day programs, to online-delivery family participation programs that build family time fun activities into the program.
The 6 Benefits of Summer Reading Programs
- Improve Reading Skills
- Increase Desire to Read
- Improve Self-Esteem
- Neutralize Summer Learning Loss
- Improve Comprehension
- Improve Memory Skills
Overall, summer reading programs really do improve kids’ reading skills and increase their desire to read. Additionally, according to the School Library Journal, those who participate not only mitigate any summer learning loss, but they even show gains. Most kids develop an interest in reading, improve their comprehension, and further develop their memory skills. Reading content material even becomes more interesting.
Questions to Ask Yourself When Looking for the Best Benefits of Summer Reading Program
Are the five tenets of reading included?
- Phonemic Awareness
Is the Summer Reading Program Flexible?
- Can you work the summer reading program on your time frame or are you tied to specific times of day?
- Do you need to travel to the program?
- Does the program offer a variety of reading activities including games or is it just reading and answering questions?
- Is the program labor intensive?
Is the program based on your child’s reading level or on their grade level?
- If your child is above grade level, can you start them there, or do they need to do their grade level activities?
- If your child is below grade level or way below grade level, can you start them at their current level and level up from there?
Bonnie Terry’s Summer Reading Program allows kids to be kids and gives them the foundational skills in a holistic approach. This online-delivered program is one where families work together and play together as they improve their reading skills not just in school, but in life.
Who is Bonnie Terry?
Bonnie Terry, M. Ed., BCET is the author of Five Minutes To Better Reading Skills, Ten Minutes To Better Study Skills and numerous other books, reading games, and guides. She is a Board Certified Educational Therapist and internationally recognized as America’s Leading Learning Specialist and the founder of BonnieTerryLearning.com. Terry is an expert in identifying students’ learning disabilities. Ms. Terry coaches teachers and parents so they can give their child a 2 to 4-year learning advantage in just 45-60 minutes a day. She is a frequent media guest and speaker.